Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Brooklyn's Birth Story

          Brooklyn Nicole Barney was due October 2, 2014, but she had her own timetable and did not arrive until October 6, 2014!  Those 4 extra days were not welcomed, but she was worth every second!
            At 38 weeks we went in for our last ultrasound to check her heart and make sure it had developed properly (Drew had heart surgery as a child, so they wanted to double check that she was fine) At that ultrasound Brooklyn was already measuring 9lbs 2oz! Huge, especially for a first baby!  The ultrasound tech was just as surprised as us at her weight and said the doctor would probably induce me early because of her size.  This was the start of the ‘due date run around’!  After that I went back in early the next week to have a non-stress test, everything came back normal and Dr. Jones said he had no plans to induce me early because he did not want me to have a c-section.  I was pretty upset, well devastated would be more accurate.  The comment from the ultrasound tech got me all excited about meeting my little girl early!
            So, I went home and tried every ‘at-home’ induction technique known to man!  I walked, lunged, took long baths, jumped on a trampoline, took castor oil (that one was the worst!) and had lots of sex!   Anything to get this baby out!  I was huge and was ready to be a real mom! J
            My next appointment Dr. Jones was delivering a baby (not mine L) so I saw his physicians’ assistant.  My non-stress test came back irregular and my blood pressure was high, so she told me to go to Labor and Delivery the next morning to get checked out again and they would most likely induce me because of babies size and my blood pressure.  So, I though ‘Yes! This is it!’  Drew took the day off work because we were going to have a baby!
            We got to the hospital right at 9 am I was not wasting anytime! And after about 1 hour of testing and observation, they sent me home!  I was crushed even worst than the last time, I cried for hours and poor Drew was so sweet and supportive of his crazy pregnant wife!
            After getting over this horrible blow to my excitement I went the next week and a half waddling my way through life, and fielding ‘you’re STILL pregnant!’ comments and questions.

            At 11 pm on October 5th, I woke up to horrible contractions and bleeding, so I called the doctor and he decided it was time to go into the hospital…again!  When I got there they found that I was 90% effaced and about 4cm dilated, but my contractions were not consistent at all.  They would be 5 minutes apart, then 10 minutes, then 2 minutes, no real pattern.  So it looked like I might be going home, but since I was scheduled to be induced the next day the doctor decided I should just stay! Yay!
            When the doctor, Dr. Haskett, came in to examine me he was really worried about Brooklyn being so big and she was still up in my ribcage, she hadn’t dropped yet!  We talked about our options of laboring and trying a vaginal delivery or doing a c-section.  Dr. Haskett was really concerned about Brooklyn getting her shoulder displaced and brain damage by being too big and getting stuck in the birth canal.  After Drew heard brain damage, he was ready to meet this ‘little’ girl via c-section!  I was not so sure.  So we called my parents and Annette, who was in town for the birth, to come down to the hospital because it was time!  When my parents got there my dad and Drew gave me a blessing of health and to help us decide what was right for Brooklyn and I. 
            After talking to a couple nurses and the doctor again, we decided on a c-section, we wanted what was best for Brooklyn and her movement had slowed significantly so it was time to get her out!  Within minutes they had me hooked up to IV’s and were pumping antibiotics and fluids into me, I swelled up like a balloon from all the liquids!
            Within 30 minutes they got Drew a jumpsuit and hairnet and were wheeling me into the Operating Room.  It was freezing in there!  They had to put multiple heated blankets on me to keep me from shivering so they could do the spinal block.  It worked really fast and I flopped onto my side on the table.  Finally they let Drew come in!  I was scared so I was really glad to see him!  He was so helpful rubbing my head and arm and talking to me about meeting out little girl!
            The anesthesiologist was so nice!  He talked me through the whole procedure!  The medicine made me super sick, so he kept giving me anti-nausea medication throughout the procedure (it did not work!) 
            Brooklyn did not want to come out!  The doctor had to lay on top of my ribcage/stomach because she was so far up there they couldn’t just pull her out.  She was not going easily.  And as soon as she hit air she screamed!  All our family in the waiting room said they could hear her screaming when she came out!  All 9lbs 7ounces of her!
            Drew ran over to the warmer to get pictures and see his new baby girl!  After they cleaned her off they brought her over to my face so I could meet her!  It was magical, she was still screaming when they brought her over, but as soon as I spoke to her she stopped crying!  I kissed her and told her how much I loved her!  Then, it was Drew’s turn to hold her (I’m still jealous he got to see her and hold her first!) it was the sweetest sight I have ever seen.  He just starred at her in awe and cried.  The nurse was so sweet and took pictures for us so I could have the memories!
            After that Drew went with Brooklyn to get cleaned up and tested.  They pulled 22 cc’s of meconium out of her lungs!  And it took forever for them to stitch me up and bring me back to my room.  I was not feeling well, I vomited several times on the way to my room.  By then everyone was there and waiting!  My parents, Drew’s mom, my sisters and my brother!  My sisters came into my room with make-up to help me look good for pictures (they were so sweet), but I was much to nauseas to concentrate on putting on make-up!

            Then, all of the sudden I could hear Drew coming down the hall wheeling my new baby with him.  He had to go next to the waiting room to get to my room so all the sudden I hear all the family start gushing over this perfect little girl and I hadn’t even got to hold her yet!  So I screamed at the top of my lungs, “DREW! BRING ME MY BABY!!”  I wanted her in my arms now!  Him and the nurse hustled to my room after that display of fierce momma bear!

            After that I worked on nursing and everyone came in to meet her! The rest of my stay was idyllic, I healed well, and Drew and I spent our days just starring in awe of this perfect human we made!

We also had her newborn photo shoot in the hospital!  I love them!  Drew and I had no idea we were going to be in them, so we were not ready for pictures!  No, make-up, hair a mess!  That is the honest look of new parents!

 I can't imagine life without her!


  1. i love the great pictures parents can now get in the hospital. Gone are the days of one picture laying on the multicolored piece of paper in the bassinet.

  2. She is gorgeous! I love the picture of her next to you right after she came out - closing her eyes and looking so content next to her Mommy. Congratulations again!

  3. I want to add - what beautiful newborn pictures! All of them are really pretty and so sweet.

  4. I agree with you that it is wisest to have the process of giving birth done right, than rushing into things. Pregnancy, labor and delivery are such tricky propositions that it should be handled with much sensitivy and care. Anyway, I'm so happy that you have treaded with so much ease on your journey. Congratulations on your safe delivery and for that healthy baby girl! Thanks for sharing the story of Brooklyn's birth. I wish your family all the best!

    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY