So this is the story of Drew and I's epicly, deliciously, embarrassing night!
Today(Feb. 20) started out relativley normal, I had a group project and Drew did a lot of homework. When I got home around 3 we decided to go to the gym and then the grocery store. While there I decided I needed to treat Drew to some real meat since I have only fed him, chicken and ground beef so far. I found two little New York steaks for a reasonable price and it was just perfect!!
So as soon as I got home I called my dad to see what he puts on steak as a dry rub, then I went to the internet to see how to cook a steak on a skillet, since I have never cooked one before! I got the meat all ready and waited for the skillet to be burning hot, since the website said that was the whole trick of cooking steak on a skillet, AND that's what started the whole night!
The second, no joke, second, I put the steaks on the skillet the fire alarm goes off! And it is loud!! And has the whole seizure strobe light thing going on too!! So I pull the steaks off the grill and put it outside, then open all the windows and door! And guess what?? The fire alarms in the bedroom and office start going off! And of course not at the same time so our ears get a tiny break between piercing squeals, all three alarms going off at different times! Yay.
So by now we have a bunch of curious neighbors wondering who or what is on fire. All the while Drew and I are scrambling around, me trying not to cry from embarrassment and the pain in my ears, trying to fan out what we thought was the smoke detecter. So I open our fire-safe box, lots of good it did us today :P and found our lease agreement with the emergency number, which of course nobody answers, and let them know our fire alarm will not go off. Let me tell you there was no smoke in our apartment and it had been going off for about 10 minutes now. Drew and I hear sirens on the road outside and laugh to ourselves about the ironic-ness of it.
Finally and thankfully the fire alarms stop. I literally collapsed on the couch with relief that it was finally over, but it wasn't. As soon as Drew walks over to close the window, since our apartment is now 30 degrees and its snowing outside, he sees the firemen walking over to our building. Yay, again.
Lucky us the firemen came to check on us, so nice, but just more stress for the moment, but they just came in a truck and no fire engine thankfully! But of course they need to be certain it was our steaks that set off the fire alarm so they had to knock on all our neighbors doors, so if the ear piercing alarm didn't cue them in to our situation, the fire men did. Finally after an official report they were on their way, just in time for the actual fire truck to roll on up, triple yay.
Now after all the people had gone I lost it! Just hysterically crying because I was completely and utterly embarrassed! I know it sounds stupid now, but at the time my ears were ringing, my steaks were ruined(I thought) and i was just sad. My sweet sweet husband tries to console the crazy crying thing that I was at that moment and believe me it took some work on his part to get me to stop crying. After my tears had dried I decided to look at my 'ruined' steaks, and GUESS WHAT?!?! They were cooked perfectly on one side!!! Saving grace?? I THINK SO!!! So I got to work finishing dinner for my now starving husband, and it was delicious, if I do say so myself! I have never cooked a steak inside before tonight, and I do not think I will again, but the stress and embarrassment was definently worth those steaks!! YUM!!
Ooooh our lives in Idaho, crazy!!